We love to see all the different collections and museums people have created! We have already seen the Banana Museum, and now we are going to look at a place called Henning’s, which is a cheese museum in Wisconsin! Good cheese is essential to a good burger, so its sometimes necessary to make sure we give cheese the proper recognition it deserves, and that’s what hennings is all about! Located in Kiel Wisconsin, the cheese museum upholds everything you have come to think of Wisconsin and with cheese. They offer everythink you could ever want, from simple cheese orders, all the way up to a 12,000 pound massive cheese wheel!
The Cheese Museum has been a family tradition dating back to 1914. Henning’s Cheese is a 4th generation family owned cheese factory, they offer an on-site cheese store and museum along with a very wide selection of cheese including Cheddars & Colbys that have won many national and world awards.
A little bit of history with Henning’s! Back in 1914 Otto and Norma Henning made a decision to purchase a rural hometown cheese factory, in the heart of America’s Dairyland, near Kiel, Wisconsin and devoted their lives to producing quality cheese! They had a son named Everette who had a wife named Jellane, who took over the factory in 1963. They brought many changes through the company and Everette is still very involved with the company to this day. Since then, three of Everett’s children, Kay, Kerry and Kert along with granddaughters Mindy and Rebekah continue the tradition.
The local family dairy farmers are still the ones providing the best quality milk to Henning’s, this hasn’t changed since day 1. These farmers pride themselves by pasture feeding their cows along with feeding them a carefully balanced diet of natural grains. Henning’s uses natural, as well as non-animal, ingredients and offers a line of Kosher approved cheeses for your enjoyment. 100 years, and 3 factory upgrades later, Henning’s is still tands as a testament of it’s family’s commitment to making great quality cheese locally!
They even sell cheese wheels! You can Call Henning’s and ask to speak to Kay for more information about an oprotunity to buy a massive amount of cheese. All of their wheels are custom made to the customer’s needs. They have no minimum order, but note that most refrigerated trucks have a 1200 pound minimum weight-so if you order 75 or 1200 pounds, you will be paying freight on 1200 pound. Henning Cheese gets 4000 pounds of cheese out of a vat. If you are ordering a specialty cheese like Colby Jack for example, and only want 150 pounds, your order will wait until they get enough orders together to make an entire vat. This means that lead times may take as long as a month. But if you need half a ton of cheese, this is the way to go!
There are tons of fun facts about the custom cheese wheels! Here are just a few!
- All our wheels are waxed in a clear wax.
- All wheels are custom made when ordered.
- Red or black waxed wheels are available up to the 22 lb. size.
- Larger mammoths are available upon request.
- Cheddar mammoths and flavors can be made in any size.
- Colby & Colby Jack can be made up to a 1000 lb. size.
- Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack & Habanero Jack can be made up to a 300 lb. size.
- Peppercorn is only available as a 22 lb. wheel (prebook this wheel – needs time for aging).
- Hatch Pepper is only available in 22 lb. & 38 lb. wheels (prebook this wheel – mfg Jan – April only).
- Cutting wires, labels and casters are available upon request.
- Mammoths are priced the day they are made, using the previous week’s average market plus the overage.
- Lead-time is a minimum 3 weeks on smaller wheels, longer on larger ones.
- Mammoths 300 lbs and larger come on their own individual pallets.
- Henning’s Cheese uses Annatto Color, uses no additives and is rBGH Free, Gluten Free, Kosher ingredients added to milk (You will notice that the Kosher symbol is not on the repack labels because retail places that cut our wheels may not be Kosher inspected).
If you are any type of cheese lover, and find yourself in Wisconsin, this place is a must see!