The South of the Border Burger is a third pound burger topped with Pepper Jack cheese, smothered with green chilies, avocado, and our Ranch dressing, served on a sesame-topped whole wheat bun and garnished with lettuce, tomato, onion, and a dill pickle!
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak
- Kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 4 torta rolls, split
2. Rinse steak under cold water, then pat dry. Grind the steak using a meat grinder with a 3/8-inch or 1/4-inch die. Grind the steak a second time. Combine the meat with the garlic and paprika and form into 4 (4-inch) patties.
3. Stir together the chipotle and mayonnaise in a small bowl.
4. Preheat a grill with a medium-high heat. Grill the burgers, covered, turning once, 4 to 6 minutes for medium. (Burgers will continue to cook slightly once removed from grill.)
5. Put burgers on rolls and top with chipotle mayonnaise, queso fresco, cilantro, and avocado slices.